Thursday, April 14, 2011

School Finance Crisis



We had a called faculty meeting this morning at 7:45 by the superintendent to discuss the budget crisis and what this really does mean for Alamo Heights. The good news is no one is set to lose their job. Administration remains committed to keeping everyone around and making cuts elsewhere. Projections show we will be cut anywhere from 3-8 million dollars. That is HUGE. So far we're going to increase class size, not replace teachers/assistants that are retiring or leaving for personal choices, tapping in to our district reserve account, if the state approves furloughs we will likely observe 4 of those days without pay and the district will hold a tax ratification election. If furloughs don't pass the legislature or if the tax ratification election does not pass then we're up a creek without a paddle....I don't want to think that far into it. : \ Very sad times for EVERYONE because not only does this hurt our current teachers, it deters our future from entering the profession, it isn't what is best for our students and it will likely push good teachers out of education, not to mention when school funding and spending is cut the outside vendors are hurt as well. The list goes on and on....I can name 923,424,235 ways this will compromise the education of our students and the domino effect of that. 82% of Texans feel the budget for education should NOT be cut, but 77% of Texans do not want their taxes raised. Didn't know there was such thing as having your cake and eating it too? My aunt found out recently that she will not have a job with Lubbock I.S.D. next year. : ( And I was told by our superintendent this morning that this isn't the worst of it. If the state doesn't set and balance a budget it will only get worse from here and we're expecting another tough 2-3 years ahead. So today I am thankful that I have a job but frustrated with the system, but for now we must just keep on keeping on. I anticipate a salary reduction and a reduction in my benefits along with a loss of our extra conference period before this is all over -- that's what I am telling myself at least so that I hopefully can be "pleasantly surprised," this summer when the legislature makes its' final decisions.

Neighboring districts in San Antonio and surrounding towns are releasing their probationary contract teachers (teachers that have been with the district for only 3 years), regardless of experience since that contract is easiest for a district to get out of since there are no due process rights. Thankfully I have a term contract at AH.

When I'm down about teaching the simplest pick-me-up for me is to buy new pens and pencils (sadly this has always been my motivation in school) and to rearrange my classroom. Yesterday, in frustration, I tore my room a part. Cleaned out and recycled every filing cabinet, file and book shelf I have. That in itself is refreshing. Attached are pictures of my classroom....so cozy.

Last night I went to a Fiesta Event, The Taste of the Northside with my friend Kim where we met up with some other friends and people I work with. It was just us, our husbands were working, and I have to say it was the best Fiesta Event I have been to thus far! There are hundreds and I still have to diversify a bit, but it was clean, fun, good music, food, drinks and it was at Sonterra Country Club. Oh and the weather was uhhhh perfect.

On that note, given the current weather situation in West Texas I don't think a trip to Levelland is in our forecast. My parents are wanting to get away from all of the wind and dirt and we certainly don't want to drive 6 hours for Easter weekend for that! So we're having Easter in San Antonio -- you're invited if you want to come! My flowers are blooming, our days and nights are calm; high in the 90's low in the 70's, crisp and cool at night. The pollen has stopped falling but we're still in need of rain to clear up the air. Even Polo has had a runny nose.

Today the Valero Texas Open kicks off at the TPC golf course. I am out of school for the Battle of Flowers Fiesta Event but am going to use my holiday to hit up TPC and hopefully watch some good golf. Angel Cabrera is coming, along with Adam Scott, JESPER PARNEVIK, Chad Campbell, Eric Axley, etc. etc. Tabor and his girlfriend Kaycee are coming in for it along with Emily and Dillon. It should be a very calm and relaxing weekend --- NOT! We're going out tomorrow to watch with them along with Jay and his girlfriend, Tiffany and Jenn and Baby Aly. If we're still able to function we're going back Saturday too with everyone plus the Adcocks. I love the Valero Texas Open one of the most fun weekends of the year and I need some F U N !

1 comment:

sandy and smitty said...

I love your committment to your students...ah...the smell of new crayons, pens and pencils...simple things can make us happy...for me it is a new coffee mug..simple, yet a fresh look at a beverage I love...love you guys
sandy and smitty
glad the Valero was fun with your friends