We went to consult with Dr. Neal again this morning. We needed some answers, suggestions and a plan. He was just as disappointed as we were with the result because everything through the embryo transfer was "perfect," in their words. We looked at the embryos that we froze and found that the 7 that made it to the blastocyst stage were all "fair" or "good" in grade (another words they were "B's" and "A's"). We're going to thaw two embryos and do the transfer the week of August 29th. This time it will not be near as exhausting as I have already done the egg retrieval portion. I will have three sonograms & blood tests prior to the transfer and they begin on August 2nd. Next week I am scheduled for a Saline Hysterogram (FCSA) for them to ensure nothing is going on such as polyps. He didn't feel there was a need for this but suggested it as a peace of mind and another "rule out" tactic. I am nervous about doing this all at the beginning of school but I am just going to have to prioritize things. He said the percentages were a little lower doing the transfer with the frozen embryos but nothing majorly significant and he also reemphasized that everyone reacts to everything differently. He has had patients not ever get pregnant after the egg retrieval but has gotten pregnant with the frozen embryos -- so really it's an unknown game and we need some luck this time! I will be using hormone patches and Lupron injections prior to this transfer so less shots! We will still be transferring 2 embryos. We were one of the fortunate few that insurance picked up the costs of our drugs and we have a lot left over from the stimulation portion and we're going to donate them to our clinic to use at their discretion with patients in need. Our nurse, Kris, told us today that they have a lot of newly diagnosed cancer patients that come to their office for quick stimulation and egg retrieval so they are able to preserve fertility through chemotherapy and Dustin looked at me and said...."wow at least we're not in that boat." And that is so true -- we're healthy and that doesn't have a price tag. If push comes to shove in this process we can always adopt, and for now we feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to continue with this costly process. We're so very thankful we live in San Antonio and now see the reason behind Dustin getting his job here...I don't think we could find such a caring clinic and Dr.'s that are well respected in this field if we lived anywhere else. If we still lived in Levelland/Lubbock I don't even know if we would have these options and opportunities...so everything does happen for a reason.
For now -- we get to enjoy July. We're busy every weekend this month so time should fly by. We're going to Levelland Thursday and then on to Ruidoso Friday through the 4th and then Dustin is going to fly back to San Antonio to work and I am going to stay in Levelland to catch up with friends...but will return to San Antonio for my Saline Hysterogram that is scheduled for July 7th. I am no longer bound to San Antonio and feel I need to exercise this right! The following weekend we're going with the Adcocks to the coast and this gives us two fun weekends to look forward to and help us "move on." Thank you all for your calls and texts...we're doing ok. On the bright side of things...the anxiousness has been lifted from our shoulders and we got a good solid night's rest last night that I think we both really needed!
2 comments:
My heart is heavy for you both..love you and wish I could make this happen for you. The drs news sounds great and a fresh start! I too believe God is in control and has a perfect plan; you are right you are very blessed to have great health and truly no price tag on that...I think of Christie Devitt and that does put life in perspective...love you guys
sandy and smitty
"If PLAN A fails. Remember that you have 25 letters left"
Love y'all :)
Jen, Daniel and Alyson
Post a Comment