Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summer is coming to an end...

Yes, in days I will be headed back to school for a teacher work week before the students come on August 23rd.  In some ways this summer flew by and in other ways it was forever long.  I feel rested and though am not looking forward to the 5:45 am alarm clock going off, I am eager to get back in a routine.  I find that I am more consistent with working out, maintaining a balanced diet,  a better time manager of my time, maintain organization, etc. etc. the list goes on when I am in school.  I think Dustin is ready for me to be back in the routine as well so that I will go to bed before midnight, allowing him to get a full night's rest.  Today ended a 4 day "Working on the Work," conference for me at Hyatt Hill Country -- it was a costly conference ($900 per person) and our district sent over 100 teachers -- I feel a little overwhelmed and am completely reworking my syllabi, expectations and policies.  I am still wrestling with the idea of allowing students a second chance for full credit as proposed at our conference.  One of our presenters said "School is the only place where we punish people for being wrong."  So...maybe I will allow my students a specific number of "re-dos," on homework, quizzes and tests each six weeks?  After all...isn't the point for students to discover, grow and retain information instead of the "got-cha" system we currently have in place?  I am even allowing cell phones, laptops, ipads, itouches, etc. in my class this year.  (I hope I don't pull my hair out).  I learned of a new system where I can poll a class with a question and they can respond via texting the answer and the website breaks the data down for me immediately -- completely anonymous for me to monitor information retention.  You can even set the system up for students to text a question in without claiming ownership to the question so that they don't feel dumb or singled-out.  The times have changed!  After my conference I went to Dustin's office to meet the people that he works with -- very nice!  We're heading to Lubbock on Friday to go to Matt Vance and JoBeth Campbell's wedding.  Dustin is a groomsman so we there are a lot of festivities this weekend -- and we are SOMEHOW going to bring back Dustin's 101" Blue Marlin that is in my parent's basement.  I'm speechless, but optimistic that Dustin has a special place in mind for it besides somewhere at 7 Inwood Way.  I am going to try to blog once a week -- so stay tuned for pics from the weekend.  :  )

2 comments:

sandy and smitty said...

Love the update..yes times have changed and maybe there were some good points there about asking questions anonymously so as not to single out someone to their own embarrasssment...I think you should definitely give it a try, monitor their work...sounds like you got some good ideas from the workshop...
love you bunches
mom and dad

Unknown said...

I was here!!!!